Saturday 24 May 2014

Birthdays!

Last week Friday it was my birthday – and I turned a whole 26!!


What a wonderful day it was.  I was so spoilt in every way possible.  My husband woke up singing happy birthday to me, then sent me back to bed (after I had iced my cakes) to bring me tea & a full breakfast, along with my stunning presents.  I arrived at work to a birthday banner, balloons & a card signed by all my colleagues.
With my 2 special friends & work colleagues
I had made 2 cakes the night before (no electricity until 11:30 so I only started baking then!  I had tried to mix the batter by candlelight thinking our electricity would be back on soon, then eventually went to bed.  I was up baking when the light came on until about 1:30am for 2 cakes & a batch of cupcakes to take to my neuro & family) & had them iced & ready just in time for work.  The one was a bit of a flop, but I think they forgave me for that in light of the fact that Eskom was not my cooperating.

I got so spoilt by everyone here – socks (you will understand me laughing at this if you know me…  Socks in my opinion are something you give to someone when you don’t have any other ideas or when you don’t really know them.  My boss knew how I felt about them so got me some as a joke!  I wore them around the office.); books of faith; a herb planter with herbs; a pen with my name on it & so many hugs.  We only work half days on Friday, & I rushed off from work to quickly get everything in my car & head off to the doctor.

My beautiful herb planter - even came with pink ribbon!
Always a wonderful thing to get good news on your birthday!  She is so happy with my progress that she has stopped my cortisone (YAY!  No more moon face or chubby cheeks!!) & only wants to see me in about 6 months – or when I am pregnant.  We are looking into alternatives to CellCept now as well as the side effects for my unborn child are just awful.  We are praying so hard, & have so many people praying for our miracle child to come into our lives.  I believe it will happen, but better to go off the CellCept (read: poison) sooner rather than later.  I have been off it for 4 days now & am feeling fine – don’t feel like I am slipping back or being “thspecial” at all.  Very excited!

Anyway, we spent the night with Mum as she lives closer to my neuro & had lovely Thai curries for dinner.  Where we live we don’t have this luxury, or at least not that I know of so this is a huge treat.  Poor husband got the “Jungle Curry” & was sweating after about 5 mouthfuls.  Thank goodness Mum & I got a milder one so I could actually enjoy it.  I got terribly spoilt by my mum with clothes, books, & all sorts of lovely things; & my sister blessed me with a Kindle.  Yippee!!  No more book falling on my face at night time or when my arms have given up!  And I can take it with me wherever I go – because yes, I am that much of a bookworm/nerd.

My Kindle!
The following day started with going to see my godson to give him his present (his birthday is the day after mine! ); then popping in to see my brother; before heading home where I had planned a tea party with my friends.  I wanted something different to the usual & during the day, as I usually start going down from about 5pm.  My nearest & dearest came to celebrate with me & the table was groaning under all the delicious food.  It was so lovely spending time with everyone, but my late night on Thursday was catching up with me by the time everyone started arriving.  I was battling to talk & was feeling rather overwhelmed by everything.  Luckily people do understand & I do hope everyone enjoyed their day as much as me.  I got spoilt rotten again with everyone bringing me such lovely things – clearly they know me & my love for girlie things, relaxation, warmth & chocolates.  It was just a pity I couldn’t enjoy the day more – I was battling to swallow & so didn’t get to enjoy all the yummy foods available, & with my funny talking I didn’t get to catch up with all my friends & family there.  I really do appreciate everyone coming & making the effort - & for spoiling me so much!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Me with my gorgeous husband
When I got home that night, I passed out on the couch in about half an hour - & woke up there after 11 while husband was still playing Call of Duty with his “clan”.  I went straight to bed & woke up feeling a lot better on Sunday morning.  I went with Mum to go visit my gran who lives in frail care.  We spent the morning with her catching up & laughing lots.  Family is so important to me & I honestly don’t know what I would do without them & all their love.

My birthday continued on Monday when my best friend came to visit & brought the most amazing pizzas ever (if you are ever in Pietermaritzburg you need to try Pizzology – really) & we spent the evening catching up & just having some much needed girl time together.  She means the world to me & has been there for me through everything.  We don’t get to see each other as often as I would like, but I know she will always be there for me no matter what.

Yum yum!
 The week continued in an amazing way, with dinner with our Connect Group (from the church) ladies on Tuesday; puppy classes on Wednesday (and my little Lola was so good & is learning so much); a completely relaxed evening of Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday; & on Friday another surprise visit from Miranda along with some beautiful gifts.

The only grey cloud was news that I received yesterday from my gynae…  All tests for husband & myself came back perfect – except for one.  I had hormone tests, & the one for Anti-Mullerian Hormone came back very poor which shows that unfortunately I don’t have many eggs left.  The gynae also wants me to have my op as soon as possible to remove the cysts & check my tubes.  They won’t do keyhole surgery because of all my previous issues & the scar tissue that has formed.  She is getting hold of a surgeon & an anaesthetist that have dealt with someone with MG & will get back to me by early next week to give me the date of my next op.

I am terrified.

But I know that God has this under control, & that He doesn’t give me anything that I cannot cope with.  I am trusting that this op will be the end of all my issues, & that by my next birthday I will be celebrating along with my sproglet!


Thank you to everyone for their messages, love, spoilings & treats for my birthday – and always.

1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog. Feels like I am right there in Pmb!! I am so proud to be your aunt!
    love you stukkend!!

    ReplyDelete