Wednesday 10 August 2016

Moon Face

One of the joys of having an autoimmune disease, is that you are more often than not put onto an immune suppressant drug.  One that will help your body stop attacking itself, but will also leave you susceptible to every little germ that comes your way.  This is why I try to stay away from large crowds, & often don't visit friends when they are ill.  It is not for lack of caring, but rather for fear of being bed-bound after a quick chat.




One of the medicines I have been put onto is called Prednisone (a type of cortisone).




These small white tablets are very deceiving!  They don't look like much, but boy do they come with a list of side-effects.



Long-term use of steroids may lead to bone loss (osteoporosis), especially if you smoke, if you do not exercise, if you do not get enough vitamin D or calcium in your diet, or if you have a family history of osteoporosis.

Others include:
  • stretchmarks & scarring (due to thinning of skin)
  • sleep problems (insomnia), mood changes;
  • increased appetite, gradual weight gain;
  • acne, increased sweating, dry skin, thinning skin, bruising or discoloration;
  • slow wound healing;
  • headache, dizziness, spinning sensation;
  • nausea, stomach pain, bloating; or
  • changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).

But, the positives often outweigh the negatives.  Being on prednisone seems to have given me strength again & helped get my MG under control.  However it has ruined my self-confidence (not that I had much to begin with).  I was never one of the popular kids, or one with lots of friends.  I never had guys after me, & I have never felt "beautiful".  I have never felt like I have fitted in anywhere, & have constantly felt like an outsider looking in on everyone else enjoying life.  This has allowed me to grow internally, & to try to be the best possible person I can be mentally & emotionally.  I still feel like the odd one out, & get very embarrassed walking into a busy room (even if it is full of people I know).  Add to that a "moon-face", pimples, & now my pipes sticking out of my chest; & I often wonder if it wouldn't be easier to remain a hermit??




However, I will not give up & I will not allow my insecurities to get the better of me.
I won't be on prednisone forever, & if it is saving my life then all these horrid side-effects are worth it.




Looking back over photos of the last 12 years, where I have been on varying amounts of prednisone have shown a huge difference in my face shape & size.


At my 21st with my fabulous neurologist - I was very bad at this stage MG-wise & could not even smile.

Last year when I wasn't on any prednisone.

Current moon face.  This is the most difficult photo to have to put up as I feel disgusting.  I have probably deleted it & re-posted it about 5 times.

I will get healthy, & I will get my self-confidence back!

No comments:

Post a Comment