Thursday 20 March 2014

Going Backwards

I am sorry I have been quiet for a while...

As you read in my last post, I ended up in hospital last week Friday on a treatment called Solumedrol.  This is a very high dose of cortisone & is meant to make my illness settle further into remission, or at least make me get some of my energy back & feel slightly more 'normal'.

On Saturday I still wasn't feeling fantastic.  I thought perhaps I was going backwards, but didn't want to admit that to anyone - least of all myself.  I slept majority of the day but this didn't seem to make a huge difference.  My doctor wasn't on duty over the weekend, but luckily the doctor who was knows me & my history, & could see that I wasn't doing well.

It was my mum's birthday on Sunday.  Again I stole all the attention!  (By the way, this is a joke...  I didn't really do it on purpose, & we joke around that I do this for attention - easier to joke & laugh so please laugh with me when I say this.)  Mum came to see me at about lunch time, & somehow with her amazing mum telepathic knowledge, she arrived with some soft foods for me & a big pink cuddly bunny rabbit.



My talking was shocking.  I was really battling to get my words out - if you have ever tried to talk after having gone to the dentist, or with a really large grape in your mouth, this is what it feels like for me.  Well, it is the easiest way to try & describe it to others.  It is difficult for people to understand me, but it is also very difficult to get my words out.  And then I start getting agitated, which in turn makes my talking even worse.  It's a vicious circle of "thspecialness".

And then there was my swallowing...  My talking is always the first thing to go down & that's how I know when I am having a bad day or going backwards.  But when it gets to my swallowing then I  know it is slightly more serious.  I battled to chew & swallow my bacon I had ordered for breakfast, & ended up choking slightly on this.  So that quickly went to one side & I managed to finish a small container of yoghurt before my muscles were exhausted & it was time for a nap.  When mum arrived at lunch time (just as my drip was finishing), I had just taken my medicine & I usually have to wait at least an hour before eating anything as the medicine helps my muscles remember what they should be doing.  So we sat trying to talk & celebrate her birthday until I could try my lunch.  I had ordered a pie with mash & veggies - sounds pretty easy & soft to swallow right?  Wrong.  Mum cut my food up for me & spread the pie sauce in with the mash, but nothing was going down.  It kept getting stuck so I was constantly clearing my throat & coughing to try get it down.  Thank goodness for the baby food mum had brought!  It was just the right consistency & I managed to finish this just before the rest of my family arrived for mum's birthday lunch.

By the way I just have to say here - how amazing is my family that they all came to hospital to make sure I was included in mum's birthday celebrations?  Truly blessed.

My facial muscles weren't working too well either - I looked like I was snarling when I was really just trying to smile.  I couldn't frown, & trying to lift my eyebrows made it look as though I was trying to make my eyes pop out of my head.  It is the weirdest sensation to try & explain to someone.  You think you know what your face is doing, but your muscles are just lazy.  And when you see yourself pulling a face, you realise just how silly you look & that oftentimes you look nothing like what you were imagining.  Surprised, cross, confused, or upset; they all just look like you are devoid of emotion.  And as you all know - I am one big emotional ball!  I wear my heart on my sleeve & often cry for the slightest thing.  So not being able to show other people how I am feeling, or even properly express it, is one of the worst things for me.

We had a lovely lunch with my mum, husband, brother, sister-in-law, nephew & sister (via FaceTime - thank you technology!) but I was finished.  Done.  I didn't even have the energy to sit up straight & keep up a positive front.  I was exhausted, emotional & just wanted to go home to my own bed & away from the hospital.  It was fantastic being able to spend that time with my family & it certainly helped lift my spirits.  My family are amazing.  The biggest blessing ever.  I don't know what I would do without them.

My family at our wedding.

The doctor came for my check up & decided that we should stop the drip.  Due to the fact that it is a high cortisone dose, this can bring on a relapse & this is where she felt I was headed.  In my mind I was scared of this too, but never want to admit that.  I hadn't felt so shocking for about 7 years.

My family left for the day, & husband walked me back to my bed where he helped me in & tried to get me to swallow some water so I wouldn't get dehydrated.  This can happen as I don't like to swallow anything extra when I am battling.  I got a wonderful surprise when my friend arrived to check up on me as well.  We chatted amongst ourselves for a while & they really helped lift my spirits again.  Thank goodness for friends, family, & my amazing support system.  Without them I think I would have fallen apart a very long time ago.  I am so lucky to have them in my life to lift me up when times get tough, they carry me through the terrifying times & support me through all this nonsense that has been thrown my way.  I know I am not always the easiest person to live with or to understand at the best of times, but there are some real gems in my life who have stuck by me through thick & thin, & have still loved me.

Warren & Miranda
I fell asleep that evening almost as soon as everyone had left & woke in time for dinner - which again I couldn't swallow.  I ate the gravy of the stew & some mashed butternut.  It wasn't a lot, but I needed to keep my strength up somehow & need some nutrition!

I slept straight through the night & the next day my drip was taken out.  They increased all my medications - I have gone from 4 tablets a day to 20.  This is still not too bad as I have been on many more than this, & I would rather rattle when I walk (from the meds) than go back to where I was with regard to my MG.  Monday was a constant improvement, & by Tuesday morning I felt almost back to my old self.  I was still a bit weak but that is probably from being a lazy bum staying in bed & not eating properly.  My doctor discharged me & I am now at home healing & getting stronger.  I am only allowed back to work next week Monday as I need to build up my strength, take things easy, sleep lots & allow the medicine to kick in properly.

I can honestly say that I am feeling one hundred times better than this weekend!  I was petrified & thought I was heading for crisis, but thanks to my fantastic doctor, the care at the hospital & all the prayers, I know that things will only improve & soon I shall be back to normal.

Our only concern now is having a baby.  The medication they have started me on can cause major birth defects & miscarriages.  Thus we cannot think about having a baby until I am off this medicine.  This has really broken my heart, as all I have ever dreamt of is being a mum.  Warren & I have spoken about having four kids & growing our family.  I feel like this is all my fault as if I wasn't sick I wouldn't have to be on this medicine, & then we could start our family immediately.  I want a Warren Jr running around the house like a hooligan, & a Megan Jr to play dolls with & plait her hair.  I want happy healthy children.  I know there are other alternatives & we are hopeful that I will come off this medicine & then can start trying for kids again.  But right now it is consuming my mind.  It is all I can think about.  I see all my friends falling pregnant & having babies, & I want that to be us!  I am ashamed to say that often the little green monster in me comes out - although I am very happy for them, please don't get me wrong.  All babies are a blessing & I am hoping that our day will come.

For now, I am sitting; waiting; healing; believing.  Every day gets a little easier & better with regard to my health & the magnitude of the consequences thereof.  And I have my cuddly pink bunny rabbit from my mum - because we all know that pink makes you feel better & happier!


6 comments:

  1. You are an incredible person and I love your outlook on life. Thank you for sharing your heart with us all. I will do anything I can to help you, wherever I can - don't ever forget that! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration, your strength and positivity blows me away! I hope you are feeling better every day meg. Keeping you in my prayers. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your should not only write a blog but a book. You have an incredible ability to make me laugh and cry. What a privilege to 'walk' with you. So glad you are feeling more like yourself but just spoil yourself a little bit so that you get properly better! Love you precious one!! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're pretty amazing Meg, I am floored by your positivity. Your dreams for a family are in God's hands. I am going to pray it happens for you soon. I know how you feel as I had problems. If only we had a crystal ball hey ;-) Try not to worry, the less stressed you are the more fertile you'll be when your body is ready. That was my experience anyway. When I let go I fell pregnant after months of fertility treatment! Take care of yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was soo lovely to read Megs. You are really brave, thank you for sharing this with us all. You are in our thoughts. Love lots xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being able to read your blog and share in your experience gives us some insight to what you have to deal with. It reinforces just how special you are, what strength, tenacity, love and faith you have. You have always drawn people to you - a shining light and an inspiration to all. Loads of love xxx

    ReplyDelete