Friday 7 March 2014

Sisterly Love

This is my sister…  Her name is Kate Couchman.  And she is amazing. Actually, make that #amazeballs.

Kate, maid-of-honour at my wedding in 2012.

My sister & I have always been very close.  She has been my best friend throughout my entire life.  Although there is quite a large age gap between us (10 years to be exact), it has never felt that way.  We have shared many giggles, tears & memories throughout my life.

First photo together

At a rugby event before I was diagnosed

Kate was there by my side the day I was diagnosed & has helped to lift my spirits in every situation that gets thrown my way.  She has helped me to laugh through my tears, to see the positive & to realise that Myasthenia Gravis cannot control my life.  She is one of the people I can be completely honest with, & she will still love me.


Celebrating my hen's night.
I could write about 20 blogs with all the stories throughout our lives, but this one is to show how far sisterly love can go.  My sister (#amazeballs) is currently working & living in the UK (the rest of the us live in South Africa).  She moved there in 2011 & being away from her has probably been the most difficult thing ever.

 A couple of weeks ago, my sister had a bright idea to do some fundraising for the Myasthenia Gravis Association in the UK.  Unfortunately we do not yet have something like this in South Africa, but they use any extra funding for research & to help create awareness for this disease.  She has chosen to do 3 big challenges this year – the Thames Path Challenge 100km walk/jog/run; the Grand Union Canal Challenge; as well as the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.  This is all after never doing anything more than a 10km fun run previously.  She has been working so hard, even getting a personal trainer to help her through an injury obtained whilst training – and she managed to convince her boyfriend to join her on one of them!

All of this is slowly helping to raise awareness in the UK as she has been interviewed for local newspapers & slowly word is getting out about all she is doing for the snowflakes out there.

The article in which we appeared.
She is working so hard to raise funds for my disease, & so far has managed to raise £332.50 through Virgin Money Giving thanks to the support of friends, family & colleagues.  She is hoping to at least get to £1,000.00 before her first challenge.  All of this will go towards her chosen charity - MGA.

She has also had some amazing sponsorship for raffles that she is going to be selling – a whole week for 6 people to stay at Laggan Drey in Newtonmore (Scotland); a voucher for the highest restaurant in London for champagne & canapés (the Radio Rooftop); a case of wine; and I am so excited as Indieberries has very kindly sponsored a Doodle Book & Love Vouchers as another award.  Head on over to her blog if you would like a laugh - it is well worth it!

Laggan Drey in Scotland - absolutely stunning!

Radio Rooftop - London

Hopefully through all the awareness being created & fundraising Kate is doing that more people will know about MG, & one day soon they will find a cure for this currently incurable disease.  I pray that this will spread through to South Africa & that soon we will be as jacked up as the UK & USA.  My only wish is that I could be there in person cheering her on & encouraging her through everything, as she has done for me my whole life.


So this is my sister.  Her name is Kate Couchman.  She is a legend.  She is amazing.  She is #AMAZEBALLS.  I love you so much Katie & appreciate all you are doing - more than you could ever realise.  I miss our leg hugs (arms are never enough), lovebeams, cuddles in the morning & whispering secrets to one another on Mum's couch.  I love you so so so much.  Always & forever.


P.S. I am trying to organise an association here in South Africa – so if anyone has any advice on how to get one going, I would really appreciate it!

We would also really appreciate any other fundraising ideas to help my sister reach her goal - please comment below.  Thank you x

3 comments:

  1. Oh Muggins, I love you and I will not stop until I know I have done everything in my power to try and make your life (and others suffering with MG) at least a little easier! Miss you madly but my love and thoughts travel across the sea EASILY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is amazing- when she herself is an epileptic! . She is a very determined person and has such strength of character, but the best friend anyone could have. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud to be your aunt. You are an inspiration to so many and have shown such courage. To mum, Kate and Alistair (and Ingrid) love you all.
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete